ZIP is one of the widely used file formats for saving large numbers of files as a compressed single file. It is an archive file format supports the lossless compression technique. With the help of ZIP compression, one can save memory space for other data. The compressed ZIP files are saved with .zip or .zipx file extensions on any storage drive. This archive file format is supported by Apple Macintosh as well as MS Windows operating systems. People prefer to compress their files so that they can save memory space and also carry all their important files without any hassle.
Encountered CRC error opening the ZIP file
Besides numerous advantages, users also experience certain errors and issues with the valuable ZIP files. At the time of opening the ZIP file, it displays an error message like “bad CRC 884f2221 (should be cc786190)”. This error arises due to the corruption of the ZIP file. Once the ZIP file gets damaged, the CRC code of the ZIP file gets infected and does not match with its original code. The CRC (cyclic redundancy check) is an error-detecting code used to check the changes happen data.
What Causes the ZIP File CRC Error?
- Virus and malware attack
- Partially or incompletely downloaded ZIP
- Usage of untrusted third-party tool/pirated version of the app to extract the files from the ZIP file
- Header corruption of ZIP file
- Inappropriate file conversions
The ultimate way to fix ZIP CRC errors
ZIP files that show CRC encountering ZIP CRC error, doesn't mean that you can't extract them in any way. The WinRAR Repair application can definitely help you to resolve the CRC error with the ZIP files in a simple set of steps. The powerful algorithm deep scans the erroneous .zip file and fixes the CRC error instantly. It is an award-winning utility that fixes CRC errors with ZIP and RAR files without affecting the original files.
Notable features of the WinRAR Repair software-
- WinRAR Repair app is also capable of repairing ZIP file which is unable to extract, damaged, inaccessible, not opening, broken, and corrupted ZIP file very easily
- Helps to fix and repair password-protected ZIP file CRC error. During the fixing process, it does not ask to enter the password of the damaged ZIP file
- It is very simple and secure to use
- Supports all the latest versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems such as Windows 10, 8, XP, 7, Vista, Server 2003, and 2008
- The program is also available in a free demo version
Steps to Repair Zip CRC Error
Step 1: Download and install the WinRAR Repair app. Click on the desktop icon to open its main screen as shown in the below figure.
Fig 1: Main Screen
Step 2: Select the WinRAR Zip archive file by using the "Browse" option.
Step 3: Click on the "Repair" button to continue.
Fig 2: Select Corrupted WinRAR Zip Archive File
Step 4: In this step, you can choose the destination location to save the repaired file.
Step 5: Set the required location and then click on the "Save" button.
Fig 3: Save the Repaired WinRAR Zip Archive File